Episode 41: (9/24/2019)
“The Wendigo” by Algernon Blackwood
The show is opened with the song “M’en Revenant de la Jolie Rochelle” or “C’est L’aviron” which is an old Canadian Voyageurs’ song.
A great compilation of Algernon Blackwood’s work that I recently purchased myself can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1500677434/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Episode 40: (718/2019)
“August Heat” by W. F. Harvey
Dedicated to Jonathan Jaekle
“The Avenging Phonograph” by E. R. Punshon
Dedicated to Collin Arnett
“The Case of Lady Sannox” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Dedicated to Robin Sand
I am not including any links to works by these authors today, partly because squarespace is being difficult, and partly because I believe you are all brilliant people who can find these works on your own just as I do. You hear the names and the stories, and you can search amazon or Barnes and Noble just as I do to find these great works. Look for some that fit your fancy and that fit in with your library. OR speaking of libraries, stop on down to your local library and borrow these books from them. They love your patronage, and while you’re there, you can find several of the other random services that libraries offer to the community that are all so great.
Thanks for listening everyone! Feel free to email/tweet/or facebook me at any time - let me know what you think, what you like/don’t like, and what you would like to hear more of. I appreciate all of you and would love to hear from more of you.
Have a good night!
Episode 39: (7/4/2019)
Special in-studio guest - Collin Arnett
“A ghost appears, a friendship crumbles”, a blog post by Chris Rampolla
Visit Chris’ website with links to his other social media at www.jumpingtoconfusions.com
Conversation with Chris Rampolla
Stories about Smash Mouth and Steve Harwell by Ben Trapp
A ghost story, told by Collin
There are too many discussions and recommendations to actually come on here and post - especially as tired and busy as I am recently. So listen to the show, and amazon search the books and other media we bring up, please! Thanks!
Episode 38: (5/21/2019)
Dedicated to friends John & Rose, and Cori W.
“Man Overboard” by F. Marion Crawford
For the compilation of pirate and ghost stories that I found this story in, click HERE
Thanks again for listening everyone!
Episode 37 - Catching Up Series: Part 3: (5/9/2019)
Featured story: “The Spider" by Hanns Heinz Ewers
For a cheap copy of the story “The Spider” click HERE
For the Frank Braun trilogy (book one is “The Sorceror’s Apprentice) also written by Hanns Heinz Ewers, click HERE
Enjoy everyone! Thanks for listening! Remember - I’m always open to listener suggestions! Pop on over to the submissions tab to find out how to get a hold of me! Thanks again ~ Bob
Episode 36 - Catching Up Series: Part 2: (5/3/2019)
I am joined by my friend Marshal Bray as we discuss “Alone on the Ice” by David Roberts, “The Righteous MInd” by Jonathan Haidt, “Frozen in Time” by Owen Beattie & John Geiger, and “Gyo” by Junji Ito. Those Books can be found on the following links:
Featured story: “The Voice in the NIght” by William Hope Hodgson
The song “Mermaids on the Moon” by One Less Light closes out the episode.
Thanks for listening everyone! Welcome back!
Episode 35 - Catching Up Series: Part 1: (5/1/2019)
The Triumphant Return of BSSH!!! It has been several months since we have been away! I’m sorry, I’ve been busy with grad school and other things, but I haven’t gone away for good.
We have four episodes coming out rapid-fire for you fine listeners to get caught up with some content - or rather, for me to get caught up with getting you content. I have found some great stories for you all though and I hope you enjoy them!
“For the Blood is the Life” by F. Marion Crawford
Episode 34 - Someone You Dream Of: (12/3/2018)
Short interview with friend Claire Cylkowski discussing the details of her upcoming trip to assist the Karnes Probono Project in Karnes Texas. Additional information about this project and how you can help can be found in the links below:
To donate to help the project, click HERE
To learn more about the Karnes Probono Project, click HERE
To learn more of the history of the National Lawyers Guild, click HERE
To learn more about RAICES, a nonprofit agency providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant children, families and refugees in Texas, click HERE
“What I Got” by musical guest Braden Canfield from his album “Seven Songs of Dying (and Another)”
“The Wishing Tree” by Stephen Young
To Learn more about Stephen, visit his website HERE
You can also follow Stephen on Twitter: @stewriting
“Someone You Dream Of” by Stephen Young & The Union
To learn more about Stephen Young & The Union, visit their website by clicking HERE
Thanks for listening everyone!!!
Episode 32 - Matt’s Birthday Banter Episode: (11/25/2018)
Happy Birthday to special guest Matthew Hogan
We are joined by friends Clara and Chris and special call in guests Ben Trapp and Eli
Banter, Stories about us, A History of the Banana Republic, and a short story by Matt Hogan
Episode 32 - 2018 Halloween Special Part 2: (10/30/2018)
“Lot No. 249” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Happy Halloween everyone. I hope you all have a fantastic fall!
Thanks for listening!
Episode 31 - 2018 Halloween Special Part 1: (10/26/2018)
“The Upper Berth” by F. Marion Crawford
Part two will be coming out next Monday - 10/29/2018, so stay tuned for yet another story for this Halloween’s special episode!
Episode 30: (10/14/2018)
“The Overlook" by Tom Combs
You can find out more about Tom Combs on his website at: www.tom-combs.com
Tom’s books in the Drake Cody series are available on Amazon by clicking HERE
Audiobooks will soon be available, narrated by Bob! from THIS SHOW! Nerve Damage is scheduled to be released near Christmas 2018! Updates to come soon.
“The Boarded Window" by Ambrose Bierce
Ambrose Bierce’s stories are in the public domain and can be found in Barnes & Noble anthologies as well as through the Gutenberg project, Goodreads, and Feedbooks.com
Songs “The Simplest Things We Do” and “Day 2 of the Rest of My Life” by Braden Canfield from the album “Seven Songs of Dying (and another)”
More information about Braden, his music, and where his music can be purchased can be found on his website HERE
I was told “Seven Songs of Dying (and another)” was up for sale online, but I’m looking for it now and not seeing it. Please stay tuned for updates on how to purchase this music if you’re interested. Email me if I forget to mention it! Thanks!
Thanks for listening everyone. Enjoy!
- Episode 29: (5/19/2018)
- "Metal Myths" by Iona Douglas
- Guest voice actor Rob Stuart-Hudson
- Episode 28: (2/28/18)
- A Baker's Wife bakery
- They can be found at 4800 28th Ave. S, Minneapolis, MN, 55406
- Visit the shop's facebook page by clicking HERE
- "The Ghosts" by Lord Dunsany
- "The Story of the Inexperienced Ghost" by H. G. Wells
- I recommend physical or ebook copies of authors/stories such as these be found through the Barnes & Noble Classics editions which can be found HERE
- Both the stories you heard on this show can be found in this anthology along with many other ghost stories - HERE
- A Baker's Wife bakery
- Episode 27 (Belated 2nd Anniversary Special!): (1/18/18)
- "Glass Stones" by Matthew Hogan
- "In an Absent Dream" by Marian Thorpe
- Songs "Gentle Sailor" and "I Spent Eternity in Target Yesterday" off the album Soul, Stone and Sundry by musical guest Braden Canfield
- Episode 26 (2017 Halloween Special!!!): (10/29/2017)
- "The Toll House" by W. W. Jacobs
- To download the W. W. Jacobs short story compilation ebook entitled "Sailors' Knots" for free thanks to the Gutenberg project, click HERE
- I was going to link to some good Barnes and Noble compilation of W. W. Jacobs stories, but I can't seem to find one. If any of you listeners knows of a more contemporary or full anthology of W. W. Jacobs works, please let me know - email email@example.com
- Episode 25 (International Podcast Day Special!): (10/3/2017)
- "The Passenger" (Excerpt from the book The Sailing Master Book II: The Long Passage) by Lee Henschel Jr.
- "Sutter's Well" by Jeff Chapman
- You can find out more about Jeff by visiting his website at
- Jeff kindly sent me a copy of his book - The Black Blade: A Huckster Novel which is next up on my reading list. If you would like to read that book as well, it can be purchased HERE
- Jeff's other books can be purchased through his website or on
- Finally - I forgot to give out a thank you to the listeners who reached out to me over my summer hiatus. I have said on the show before that I don't often hear from the listeners - I haven't heard good or bad comments, gotten feedback on what I'm doing or not doing on the show, etc. However, I have to say, when you all reached out saying "Hey, we miss you! Do another show" or "Bob! We are all caught up, where did you go? Can you come back?" I was very touched. It meant a lot to me and it was the encouragement I needed to get back in the studio. Thanks everyone.
- Kim G. - your story submissions will most likely be this years Halloween Special so - Stay Tuned!!!
- Episode 24: (6/28/2017)
- Updates about the show!
- Book recommendations and updates regarding the brand new "Bob's Book Reviews" page.
- We are now also available on stitcher - on demand radio (as well as nearly every other podcast source)
- "The Facts in the Case of M. Hussman" by Jeff Chapman
- Episode 23: (05/13/2017)
- Interview with MN writer Matt Hogan
- Part X (Laws # 17 - 22) of "The Peterson Laws" by Dr. Dave Peterson
- Click HERE to buy your own copy of "The Peterson Laws"
- "The Voice That Tamed the West" by Matt Hogan as read by the author himself.
- In-Episode Plugs:
- "'Za" - closed Minnesotan-Italian food restaurant
- "Daniela's" - fine chocolates and gelato in Forest Lake, MN - danielaschocolates.com
- "Barley John's" - brewpub/brewery in New Brighton, MN and New Richmond, WI - barleyjohns.com
- The beer Matt and I were enjoying during the show was Barley John's "Wild Brunette" Brown Ale
- Episode 22: (4/14/2017)
- The Rhinelander, Wisconsin folklore tale of The Hodag, as related by Bob
- "Kwik Encounters" Part II by Debra Geffen
- To read Debra's wonderful blog including recipes, stories, history and more click HERE
- "Diamond Lil" by Jerry Mevissen
- The songs "Hodag" and "Thunder God" off the album "Eaten by Crows" by musical guest Meat Raffle Road
- To stream or download songs from or the whole album - click HERE